Friday, November 21, 2014

SAUSAGE APRICOT STUFFING

Still trying to finalize your Holiday menu? Looking to add an additional item? Well, I believe this stuffing is what you are missing! We used to make this way back, when I ate my animal friends, and after I chose to live a compassionate life, I was the most disappointed to not have this yummy stuffing at the dinner table. After one Thanksliving without it, I was like NO! I WILL VEGANIZE IT!! And so I did! My family loves it just as much as the meaty version, and the tradition lives on!

SAUSAGE APRICOT STUFFING

(Serves 6-8)

*1 package of Vegan stuffing (I use the Whole Foods brand)

*1 package of Vegan breakfast sausage (I recommend Gimme Lean brand)
* 25-30 dried apricots, diced
*1 3/4 C of Veg stock; I use homemade, and I would highly recommend doing the same!
* 1/3 C melted Earth Balance butter
*1 lb of cremini mushrooms, washed and chopped
*1 large, sweet onion, diced
* 4 cloves of garlic, minced
* Olive oil, for cooking
* 6-8 fresh sage leaves, finely diced
* Himalayan salt, to taste
* Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste.

-Begin by heating oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat.
-Once hot, add your diced onion and mushroom, and a pinch of salt. Cook until vegetables begin to sweat and onions become translucent. Add your garlic and cook for 2-3 mins, stirring often, and being sure not to burn the garlic. You're not looking to fully cook the veg, as it will soften up a bit more in the oven. Remove from pan and place in a small bowl to cool down.
-Using the same pan, crumble and cook the vegan sausage. You may or may not need to add oil. I usually add a bit of water to the pan with the sausage, to deglaze it, and get all the yummy bits off of the pan. Cook sausage until heated through. Remove from pan and add to the veg mixture.
-Now, take your dry stuffing and add your diced apricots and veg/sausage mixture. Give it a toss to mix. At this point, I add my diced sage, salt and pepper.









































-A little bit at a time, add your stock and butter, stirring and incorporating between each addition. Repeat this process until all the stuffing is moist.
-Transfer into a 9 x 13 baking dish. 
-This entire recipe, up to this point, can be made a day ahead of time. Simply wrap with foil and store in fridge until you are ready to pop it in the oven.
-Once you are ready to cook, put into a 350-375 oven, covered for about 25-30 mins. Then, remove the foil and bake an additional 10-15 mins, or until the top begins to get brown and crispy.
-Remove from oven, and enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment