Sunday, September 22, 2013

PHILLY-FRENCH DIP

Well it's been a hot minute since I've blogged, and I apologize for that. It was a CRAZY busy summer, working 2 jobs, and not leaving much time for anything else (Well, I did manage to make many trips to the beach!!!) other than work and sleep, which I didn't get much of! I have a bunch of recipes that I have been dying to share with you, and decided that I would post them in the order that I developed them. Today's recipe, PHILLY-FRENCH DIP, is one of those killer sandwiches that is comforting, and feeds your inner fat kid, without expanding your waistline. It took me a few tries, but I think I pretty much nailed the marinade/dip. This is a perfect sandwich for game day (GO STEELERS!!!!) and vegans and non-vegans will totally dig it. So excited to be sharing this recipe with you, and can't wait to see how everyone likes it!

PHILLY-FRENCH DIP
(Makes 4 sandwiches)

For Marinade:
*1 1/2 C vegetable stock/broth
*1 1/2 TBS Vegan Worcester Sauce (regular worcester contains anchovy)
*1/4 C spicy, vegan-friendly, BBQ Sauce (I use Mamma's Best, Backyard Classic)
*2-3 drops of liquid smoke (liquid smoke is powerful, so don't over-do it!)
*1/2-1 tsp of red pepper flakes, depending on how much heat you can handle
*1 TBS Organic, Grade B, Maple Syrup
*Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

For "Meat"
*1 package of seitan slices/pieces (I use Upton's, I personally think it's the best)

~In an airtight container or ziplock bag, place seitan pieces inside. Add all of the marinade ingredients and shake/stir until all ingredients are incorporated and mixed. 
~Place in fridge for about 8hrs, or overnight

For Sandwich:
*Whole Grain (or your fave, just be sure they are vegan-friendly)buns; burger or hoagie style
*Daiya Swiss Slices
*Earth Balance Vegan Butter
*6-8 Baby Bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
*1/2 of medium, or 1 small, sweet onion, sliced into medium strips
*1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
*olive oil, for frying veggies

To Make:
~Take "meat" and marinade, and pour into a medium saucepan. Cook over Medium heat.
~Place about 3 TBS of olive oil in saute pan, over med-high heat. Once oil is hot, add the mushroom/onion/pepper mix. Cook until they just start to soften (3-5 mins)
~Meanwhile, while your veggies are cooking, butter the inside of your bun/hoagie roll and toast or grill. This step is not necessary, but I LOVE a good toasty bun! The bread will hold up and suck up the juices better as well.
~Next, remove the seitan from marinade and add to frying pan. Cook for an additional couple minutes. Be sure not to overcook the seitan, you want it to stay moist.Feel free to add some of the marinade into the frying pan for extra flavor.
~Once your bread is toasty, remove and set aside.
~To really get the "Philly" part of the sammy, I feel the next step is necessary. In pan, separate the seitan into 4 piles, top each with the veg mixture, then top with a slice (or 2, depending how "cheezy" you want it) of Daiya Swiss. Cover pan with a lid until cheese is melted.
~Now, it's time to assemble your sandwich/hoagie!!!
~Take your hot, toasty bun/roll and top it with the yummy seitan/veg/cheese pile. Then spoon some of the "au jus" over the pile. Dig in, and enjoy!
~You can serve it with a side of the "au jus" for dipping!

Hope that you enjoy this as much as I do! Please let me know how you liked it, and tell your friends to check out my blog :)
Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment