Monday, September 23, 2013

Hands Off My Fritzi Dog!!!

  Well, anyone who knows me knows I LOVE to eat! Yes, I eat vegan (all the time) and clean about 80% of the time, but I love to go out, indulge, and feed my inner fat kid whenever I get the chance. I am very fortunate, living in Los Angeles, because it is a vegan paradise here. Everywhere I look, a new vegan joint is popping up, and so many restaurants offer vegan options. The vegan food we have here is top-of-the-line, and it is BOMB!
  I have a list of all of the vegan restaurants that I want to try, and I'm not even halfway through it. Thanks to my addiction to Instagram, and the amazing vegan community on there, I continue to discover more and more places to eat! Since I enjoy eating (we all do, right?!?), and spreading my love plant-based food to everyone, I am going to start posting reviews of all the yummys I eat in L.A., and wherever else my travels take me. Today's review: FRITZI DOG!!

Fritzi Dog is located in the fabulous Farmer's Market on 3rd & Fairfax, which is connected to The Grove. It is owned by the acclaimed Chef Neal Fraser (BLD) and takes hot dogs to a whole new level. Since discovering Fritzi, about 6 months ago, I have been several times, trying many different toppings, but this last trip I found my perfect dog. Allow me to elaborate.....


There is only one "dog" option for us vegetarian/vegans, but to me, it doesn't matter because it's that damn good. Allow me to introduce you to the CARROT DOG. If you live in Los Angeles and haven't already met, you need to. The Carrot Dog is not in any form like the processed soy dogs we vegans are used to throwing on the grill. It's not ground up carrot mixed with other ingredients and formed into a dog-like shape. No, the carrot dog is a carrot, like a whole carrot. Don't be fooled though, Chef Neal Fraser doesn't just cook a carrot and slap it on a bun, he takes that carrot and slow cooks it, sous-vide in 26 Arabic spices, and then finishes it off on the grill. Are you salivating yet? You should be!

There are MANY yummy vegan-friendly topping to choose from, and you can choose as many as you want for no extra charge! That's a steal, since the dog is only $5!! Your topping choices are:

*Ketchup
*Sriracha Ketchup (yeah, that's right, I said Sriracha!)
*Brown Mustard
*Spicy Mustard
*Super Spicy Mustard
*Sweet Mustard
*Yellow Mustard
*Pickled Relish
*Jalapeno Relish
*Grilled Onions
*Raw onions
*Warm Sauerkraut
*Grilled peppers
*Salsa Verde
(There are more toppings available, but these are the ones plant-based eaters can have)

The Pretzel bun is vegan, so I always stick with that. Like I said, I have tried many topping combos, all good, but my last trip, I found what will be my "Usual".
I chose:

~Sriracha Ketchup
~Super Spicy Mustard
~Jalapeno Relish
I LOVE spicy, and this totes hit the spot without overtaking the yummy carrot. All of their condiments are house made, and you can tell.

 
Before I finish I must also tell you what is as exciting, or maybe even more exciting, than the Carrot Dog itself. TATOR TOTS. You heard me peeps, tator tots. I've searched high and low for a place to get tots since turning vegan. Seems like everywhere I went they either contained egg, or they didn't and they fried them in an unvegan-friendly place. I am a tot lover, so when I found out the tots at Fritzi were vegan I about died. Let me tell you, they do not disappoint! They are nice and crisp on the outside, and soft and yummy on the inside. The order is pretty big, and only $3, which is good cause if I'm gonna go for tots, I'm gonna go BIG. I personally like to dip my tots in the yumminess that is on top of my dog. If you're not a tot person, their fries are also vegan. I haven't tried them, but I've heard they are good. Can't decide?? You can get 50/50, half tots, half fries. I say, get the tots!!!


Well, that's my review....clearly I like the place! I'd love to hear what your experience has been at Fritzi. What's your fav topping combo? Are you a fry or tot kinda person? Talk to me. I hope this inspires you to run out and grab a dog, errrr, I mean carrot. Who would've thought a carrot dog could be so damn good? Way to go, Chef Neal Fraser, and thanks for giving us veg heads something interesting, creative and yummy to eat!
I leave you with the photo.....commence your drooling....


Now go out and get your damn Carrot Dog!!! Unless, you don't live in L.A......which I'm pretty sure now that you wish that you did.....

1 comment:

  1. I would love to come and have a dog and tarts. I'be been craving them since football season started. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete