Friday, September 27, 2013

Raw Energy Bites

I don't know about you, but I have a pretty crazy busy life. Between practicing Yoga, training for races, teaching long hours at the Dance Studio and everyday tasks, life gets hectic. Although I cook 85% of my meals at home, teaching for 7 hours straight can take a toll on your energy level. When I'm in the studio, I don't really have time to eat a full snack; I need something that I can just pop into my mouth quickly, but also something that will keep my energy level high (nothing processed!). I've found the best thing are these energy balls. You can make them as small or as big as you like, depending on where they will be going with you. For long training runs, they can be made into mini-size, as not to take up much space and to be popped into the mouth and chewed quickly. There are many variations of these out there, and this is my version. I love the flavor combo, and I've rolled them in all of my favorite ingredients, for maximum energy/protein consumption. 

RAW ENERGY BITES
(Makes approximately 40, Medium-sized, bites)

* 1 1/2 C raw cashews
* 1 1/2 C raw almonds
* 2 tsp Himalayan salt
* 1-2 vanilla bean(s), scraped (depending on how vanilla-y you like them)
* 3 TBS flax meal
* 3 C dates, soaked for 30 mins in water,drained, then pits removed
* 1 C dried cherries
* 1 C raw, dried, coconut flakes

TOPPINGS:
* Raw hemp hearts
* Raw, dried, coconut flakes
* Chia seeds
* Cacao nibs
* Flax meal

TO MAKE:
~Put raw cashews, raw almonds, salt, vanilla and flax meal into food processor and process until nuts are finely ground.










~Then, with processor still running, slowly add dates, cherries and coconut, alternating between them, and allowing each to process until next round is added. 







~As soon as all ingredients are incorporated, remove and place into a bowl. Mixture will be very sticky!

~With damp hands, begin to take mixture, 1 TBS at a time, and between palms roll into balls. Place balls on parchment lined baking sheet until all "dough" has been rolled.
~Now, you're bites are ready to be rolled into the toppings! Set up all of the remaining ingredients into separate bowls. Take your bites and roll them in your mixture until evenly coated and place back onto parchment lined sheet. 
     *TIP: I would suggest doing each topping before moving on to the next (example: make all 10 rolled in chia, then move on to the coconut) because it gets pretty messy and the toppings will stick to your fingers!
~Your bites are done!! All you need to do is store them in an airtight container. They should stay fresh, in the fridge, for over a week.

The Finished Product:
Cacao Nib Bite
Chia Bite


Hemp Heart Bite

Coconut Bite















Try these out on your next long run, cycling train, road trip, hike, dance marathon or wherever you need a natural boost, and let me know how it goes! No need for those overly-processed "energy" bars full of chemicals, this is nature's candy, and it's damn good!
ENJOY!!!



If you'd like to know more about the benefits of raw over roasted nuts, click on the link below:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/raw-nuts-vs-roasted-nuts-the-truth/

No comments:

Post a Comment