Tuesday, November 19, 2013

YUMMY STUFFED MUSHROOMS

The time is here to start thinking about all the Holiday dinners, parties and family events that you will be hosting/attending! If your family is anything like mine the Holiday's, and gatherings, are centered around good food, tasty cocktails and time with those you love the most. This time of the year is precious to me, and one of the only times I get to hang with my parents, relax and just have a few days to spend quality time together. I LOVE Thanksgiving and Christmas!!! I have been thinking about my Thanksgiving menu for weeks now and although I have my favorites, that I can't stray from, I always like to mix it up and try a few new items each year. While my Mom and I are cooking (and we COOK; last year we were in the kitchen for about 7 hours [with mimosas in hand, of course]totally worth every second, though!!) we like to munch on appetizers, and give the boys something to snack on while watching football and kicking back. These have always been a favorite; everytime I make these for a party, they go like hotcakes! Over the next few weeks, I will be sharing a lot of my favorite savory, and sweet, Holiday recipes with you. All of the recipes are 100% VEGAN, and will show you that you can have all the YUM of the Holiday's while staying 100% PLANT BASED. What could be better?!?
This IS NOT my recipe. I just veganized (and slightly tweaked) it from one of those Nabisco Holiday Appetizer books. I know there are hundreds of stuffed mushroom recipes out there, but these really are the best I've had. They are pretty easy to make, and don't require many ingredients. Everytime I make these, I double the recipe, and I recommend doing the same!! They get eaten up fast!!! You can also prep these the day before (I always do on Thanksgiving) so all you need to do on the day of, is pop them in the oven! I hope you and your family will enjoy these as much as we do!

STUFFED MUSHROOMS
(Makes 20 mushrooms)

*20, medium sized, mushrooms. I usually use cremini, this time I used white (they were out at WF)
*3 TBS Vegan butter (I'm partial to Earth Balance)
*4 TBS finely chopped white onion
*4 TBS finely chopped red pepper
*16, "Ritz" style crackers, finely crushed. I use an organic brand due to the fact that Ritz contain HFCS, which I have banned from my house years ago. You can also use Panko, if desired (1/2C)
*3 TBS Vegan parm
*2 tsp Organic Italian seasoning/dressing mix

Step 1:
Wash mushrooms throughly




















Step 2:
Carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms, keeping the stems and setting them aside, and putting the mushrooms on a rimmed baking sheet or 13X9 pan

















Step 3:
Gather all your ingredients so they are ready to go





Step 4:
Take the stems you removed from the mushrooms, and finely chop enough to equal a 1/4C
Finely chop your onion and red pepper





Step 5:
Add your butter to a saute pan and melt over med-high heat





Step 6:
Add your onion, mushroom stem, red pepper mixture. Cook and stir until veggies are tender





Step 7:
Turn off heat and add cracker crumbs, vegan parm and italian seasoning. Stir until well incorporated






Step 8:
Using a small spoon, scoop mixture into the mushroom caps. You can pile it pretty high, it will cook down slightly





Step 9:
In a 400 degree oven, bake for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through and mushrooms are softened and cooked


























Now, try not to eat them all in one sitting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment